Maiden in Distress

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Self as Informant

The smell of pipe smoke fills my memories when I recall the times my father would reach up onto my grandfather's bookshelf and retrieve the Blake Reader from the shelf. We lived in Beaufort, South Carolina when my grandfather moved down from New York City to the very exclusive retirement home that my father had provided for him and my grandmother. They had views of oak trees and a small wildlife refuge was nearby. When my father died in 1996, the first item I retrieved was this Blake Reader, a one hundred year old school book that my grandfather shared with his sisters in the school house he was taught in while growing up in Milageville, Georgia. My father cherished this book because he also grew up reading it. It has become so weathered now. The pages are crisp with sadness of generations lost. Yet, the Reader is a part of a history that I can no longer unveil. My grandfather's pipe smoke trailing back to the library where my father taught me how important it was to get every word just right; I would have to repeat any words that I misread. I hold the book in a frozen food bag with rubber bands and memories; waiting for my daughters to unleash the faint smell of pipe smoke and over one hundred years of history from my ancestors; young and old.

3 Comments:

At September 21, 2008 at 5:30 PM , Blogger sabra said...

Hi! I enjoyed reading your blogs. I recalled you sharing the book that made a difference in your life, but reading your blog and the details that you shared gave me as the reader an even more vivid picture of the meaning this book has had on you and how it will continue to be shared. I appreciate your thoughts and words that you share in class! take care sabra ferreira

 
At September 24, 2008 at 2:46 PM , Blogger MV said...

I especially enjoyed your self as informant post. It is a wonderful demonstration of the relationship between texts and people and where meaning resides and how meaning is constructed and negotiated...

Thanks
vivian

 
At September 24, 2008 at 11:04 PM , Blogger Daphne said...

I love this reflection! You use the book as a touchpoint for so much feeling and memory, and you do it in such a beautiful way, showing us how important it is and was to you rather than just telling us head-on. When you speak of how "The pages are crisp with sadness of generations lost," it raises so many questions in my mind -- is the sadness about the loss of these family members, or is it also a sadness that they experienced in life? The ambiguity really works. I also love how you say that you are "waiting for my daughters to unleash the faint smell of pipe smoke and over one hundred years of history from my ancestors ...." Beautifully expressed! Some children might have balked at having to reread a page until they got it just right; your love for your father and respect for his values is so powerfully conveyed by the fact that this is a happy memory for you and not a frustrating one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home