Maiden in Distress

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Critical Literacy Literature Hunt

The following websites have been used as references for my exploration of children’s literature. I have made notations as to how I have or would use the sites to impact student learning.


1. http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/

This website is phenomenal. I found that the blog was informative and contained information that was insightful and profound in regards to Native American culture. The blog is informative on a historic and editorial level. Children’s books are deciphered and reviewed based upon their depictions of the tribe, the characters, and the historic accuracy of the scenarios. I highly recommend this site and will continue to use it in order to select books for my class.


2. http://www.angelfire.com/pe/GrChildLit/

Angelfire.com is a Greek children’s literature website. I appreciate the content, both critical and entertaining, and the purpose of the site: to deepen an understanding of authentic Greek culture beyond the stereotypes. I have learned a lot about Greek literature, from the publishers to the illustrators. I understand more about the reasons why more authentic Greek stories are not in print as mythology circulates in every Barnes and Nobles in America. The only improvement I would offer to the site is the usage of advertisers. I found that the advertisement was not suitable for children. If I wanted to use this as a reference, my students could not journey to this site on their own.


3. http://books.google.com/books?id=6V-SqArEjcsC&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=projects+to+get+children+excited+about+critical+childrens+literature&source=web&ots=HbnGltwmAT&sig=QPVaxCJ1znRh8sY92g-4dNk4dUs&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPP1,M1


I have reviewed this text during my exploration of critical childrens’ literacy while being a curious student in professor vasquez’ class. What I have learned from my exposure to this realm of literary reflection is that the opinions of those that read critical literacy, although antagoinizing in some stages, is infact enlightening. I have discovered that although I may not agree with a perspective, the fact that I am disagreeing has added to the literary criticism formula: story+perspective=depth of understanding.


4. http://mypage.iu.edu/~harste/recpub/CLenlarge.pdf

This article, Critical Literacy: Enlarging the Space that is Possible, is accessed through the Language Department at Indiana University. It was written by two professors, Leland and Harste. The article is not an interactive website, but a resource that educators may use in order to deepen their discourse in children’s literature critiques.

5. http://www.readinglady.com/index.php?&MMN_position=1:1

This website is beneficial for educators who are looking to differentiate their instruction. The site offers a variation of manipulatives and lessons for the reading teacher who is trying to appeal to the multiple intelligences of his/her students. I have used the rubrics and the reader’s theater in my class and content centers. One of my students comprehends stories from reader’s theater best because she can act out the scenarios. I think that any teacher who is struggling with comprehension within the classroom should utilize reader’s theater. From a critical perspective, students can recall and dialogue about the content of the story more easily because they are able to visualize it more effectively.

1 Comments:

At December 3, 2008 at 8:42 AM , Blogger MV said...

You have some very good resources listed here. Harste and Leland are actually colleagues with whom I worked at Indiana U., Bloomington several years ago.

vivian
www.clippodcast.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home