Maiden in Distress

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Media Has a Demographic

As a child, I recall reading books that my mother would bring home focused on the lives of African American girls from the South. I see now what her intentions were. As an African American girl, I would need some level of inspriation that would be formulated from the heroines within the stories. Little did my mom realize that all I needed was to look at her life to know that as an African American girl, I already had a dynamic example of intelligence, determination, and confidence from watching her. In todays' media, simple picture books are turned into motion picture movies (the Polar Express) and comic books that appeal to small children become action heroes that can be purchased in a store. Adventures that fascinate older children in chapter books are adapted and beome screen plays. Who does illustrations any longer? Computer generated images become movie posters. Good bye Chris Van Allsburg! What is so wrong with tradition? What is wrong with black and white pictures. Children's literature does have a place in the media. However, I want it to live in the imaginations of a child. Now let's go outside and play! You be Roscurro and I'll be Desperaux!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home